Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever prior to have many new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to minimize or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or read laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Choose a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor does not know can harm you.
Ask for from this source details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The very best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any helpful site eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.